Monday, August 11, 2014

Whirlwind, frenzied and gratifying coverage of "#KenshinManila"

Sometimes, it's complicated when your personal likes and professional career come together in one situation. But for a journalist like me, it's just freaking awesome most of the times. 

Take for example my whirlwind, frenzied and gratifying coverage of the "#KenshinManila" events last week. No less than the maker and cast of the live action movie of the popular manga Rurouni Kenshin came here to promote the second and third sequels, Kyoto Inferno and The Legend Ends set to open this month and the next, respectively. 

As the Samurai X himself. PHOTO COURTESY OF WARNER BROS. 
And allow me to confess that I am a fan girl of the movie and Takeru Satoh, who gave a convincing and effective portrayal of the titular character, Kenshin Himura. (Seriously, is this confession even needed, I thought everything was SO obvious already.)

This can be traced from as far as the 90s when the anime, popularly called Samurai X, was shown in the Philippines. I was an elementary student then and it was even dubbed in English. I also loved copy-drawing Kenshin and Kaoru. 

And while I don't remember the story and all the characters too well, everything came back to me when I watched the first Ruruoni Kenshin last year. 

So when Warner Bros. Entertainment officials from Japan and the Philippines announced they are bringing the cast led by Takeru-san himself, I knew by then that I must see him, and his co-stars Emi Takei (Kaoru Kamiya), Munetaka Aoki (Sanosuke Segara) and director Keishi Otomo. 


Here's how the page looks like. 
How to? I will cover as a legit press! :D Self-serving yes, but hey, I already published the story at The Manila Times

And fortunately, my editor and co-writer are both supportive. So it was practically very easy for me to do so unlike for others in various media outfits who had many "kaagaw"!  

There were three events for the Rurouni Kenshin guests in their two-day visit. 

First was the Red Carpet Premiere of the Kyoto Inferno held on August 6 at SM Megamall in Pasay City. 

From there, a cult following materialized from different parts of the Philippines. Organizers proved themselves it was the right thing to do when they gave in to the clamor from Filipino fans. 

Though I purposefully missed the actors and the directors in their red carpet walk, I was able to catch them at the cinema where they greeted fans before the film showing

There, Takeru-san said that he couldn't believe it was the first time that a Japanese film was actually premiered here. With that, he hoped that Rurouni Kenshin will pave the way for similar events and visits. 


(From left) Director Otomo Keishi and
actors Takeru Satoh, Emi Takei,
and Munetaka Aoki at the Red Carpet Premiere
of Kyoto Inferno
Munetaka, on the other hand, wore slippers with a suit! Haha! Our newspaper's photographer who was at the red carpet also described him as Mr. Cool Guy. 

Emi spoke softly like a doll (kawaii) and director Otomo-san was all smiles. 

Together, they expressed gratitude for the unexpected and big support from their Filipino fans. 

As for Kyoto Inferno, it was damn good. The fight scenes are more surreal than the first. If you want legit samurai action, this is what you watch. And the way it was ended, one is just too happy that the continuation can be watched not more than a year after but in the following month!

Day 2 of their visit included a cultural activity in the morning at Raffles Residences and a general press conference in the afternoon at the Glorietta Activity Center. Both venues are in Makati City. 

And I became a legit fan for covering the whole-day affair from 10 am to 7 pm! 


The awarding of certificate and
exchange of tokens. Takeru immediately
wore his gift from the Filipinos
In the morning, the Japanese guests were awarded "Cultural Friendship Ambassadors" by the Makati City government, the Japan Foundation, Manila and Warner Bros. Philippines. 

The two parties also exchanged gifts, traditional ikat scarves (TRIVIA: Takeru-san asked to open his gift already. Upon seeing his scarve, he said he loved the color and immediately replaced the scarf he wore with the ikat one. Aww, so thoughtful) for the Japanese and yukatas for the Filipinos. 



They loved this Samurai X jeep!
The highlight came when a photo opportunity was held outside the hotel. Takeru-san, Emi, Munetaka and Otomo-san posed in front of a Samurai-X jeepney. 

Story was, as told to me by a source, they saw the jeep along the road. So amused were the four that they actually called upon it for a photo!


But that was not MY highlight! The story behind this famous (famous talaga, pwede "Liked" lang) photo was that I just finished talking with JFM officials thinking that Takeru went back in his hotel room already. But when I turned around, lo and behold, he was behind me!


Our very reliable photographer took the photo, even without me telling her to do so!
Thanks Melyn Acosta!
I was trying to gesture a handshake, because I know that's the best and closest I could get from him--touch is way more better than a selfie. But instead of a hand, he handed me a small token. A cute keychain memorabilia of the film. AWWW. 

The BEST fan girl moment of my life! Success! I don't know who else were given the same token because I think I lost it for a few minutes. 

The next thing I knew was that he was going back for good in the hotel. My instinct kicked in, and again gestured that I wanted to take a photo of him. I think, he didn't understand at first, but when he did, he gave me the nicest smile. 


My Takeru-exclusive smile. *melts*
After that, I graciously waited for five hours, more I guess, before the actual press conference took place. 

Unfortunately, Ms. Emi was not present there anymore, but the three guys were enough to liven up the yet another big, big crowd!

In my The Manila Times story, I summarized: 

"Satoh, Aoki and Otomo graciously answered a variety of questions from the press, starting off with how they feel about visiting the Philippines.

Satoh replied, “It’s really fun. It’s really beyond my imagination that all of you [the fans] are here. It is very surprising, shocking.”

For his part, Aoki thanked everyone for the great opportunity to present Kyoto Inferno. He promised adoring fans that he will use his “big power” to bring The Legend Ends in September.

Director Otomo, meanwhile, promised to bring his amazing experience in the Philippines back to Japan and share it with his fellowmen.

The three gentlemen further talked about their experience in filming Kyoto Inferno. The director touched on how he and manga creator Nobuhiro Watsuki had “collaborative meetings” before filming. On the other hand, Aoki revealed that fight scenes were so extreme he even lost a tooth.

Takeru said he is honored to be able to portray such a major role, which is now part of his life. “If I’m not sure of my decision making, I would ask, ‘If it was Kenshin, what would he do?’ He’s like a mentor to me, someone I respect and look up to.”

When it was time to bid farewells, the Ruruoni Kenshin said to his admirers, “Thank you very much. It’s my first time to come  here [and] I’m glad I came. I’m now in love with the Philippines.” "


They know how to make their fans happy
We definitely love you back, and we would love it even more to see you again Takeru-san!

Special shout out to my colleagues in the industry, Kat Llemit of Daily Tribute, and Carla Mortel of Manila Standard Today, who were avid fans like me! 


With fangirl buddies Kat and Carla!
Sugoi!

***
Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno and Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends will open in nationwide cinemas on August 20 and September 24, respectively.

ALL PHOTOS, OTHERWISE CITED, ARE BY ME. 

No comments:

Post a Comment