Wednesday, January 18, 2017

27: Just As It Is

IT'S kind of scary to be spending my 27th birthday without a job. Really, scary. 

Because since graduating from college in 2010, I have spent five birthdays as a lifestyle journalist, which is equivalent to six years in the media industry. Throughout that time, I have devoted everything that I am to the job I am most passionate about: Writing. 

So to be in semi-hiatus after all those time, I do get paranoid. Sometimes, I just can't shrug off that feeling of uncertainty. What's next for me? 

But then, I look back at the last three days just before January 19 and I realize that I am blessed with many people who care about me. I am not worried anymore. 

First and foremost, there is my former editors and colleagues at The Manila Times who are are more than just that. They are truly like family to me already. On a recent visit, I am humbled and kept grounded. I will always be privileged and proud to have the Philippines' oldest newspaper as my roots. 

There are also friends I have made along the way--be them editors and reporters, sales and advertising managers and public relations officers--who are just a chat or text away. They generously allow me to contribute stories for them, even kindly offer me to write a column for them! Some are helping me find a full-time gig too. 

And despite my temporary break, many still remember my special day and send greetings and gifts. 

Not to forget my closest, fellow lifestyle journalists who just don't fail in cheering me up.  I haven't seen them in more than a month but I'm sure we can just see each other and share stories over bottles of beer. I know soon, we will cross paths again. 

Talk about paths! Well, where ever life may take me from here on, I am sure of one thing. That I will continue to write with the same ethics and diligence that I always have. 

And life being just as it is, I allow me to enjoy the rest of my free time, and more importantly, utilize it to accomplish my other personal plans for 2017, the year I turn 27, and the year of blessings from the Almighty One. 

Cheers! 

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog. Get a domain name and host for your blog already Euden so you can monetize :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, soon po! Hindi lang umabot sa birthday ko. Hihi. Thanks Ms. Tina!

      Delete