Thursday, August 5, 2010

Child of a Third World Philippines

I am a child of a Third World Philippines. 


I am raised by a Third World Family. I have a father who belongs to the working class. He have been a minimum-wage earner ever since. And ever since, my family lives with just enough. During times when we have more, my humble father will contentedly spend it playing Tong-its. If I think about it, my father does gamble quite often. My mother who exclusively works for the family, does tell my father to quit Tong-its. Thus she talks a lot. Thus, mother's fault is father's fault. They are both guilty. I love them that way. 


I am the product of a Third World Education. I spent my primary education in a public school. I did not enter nursery. There are lots of inter-school competitions. I joined a lot, but I won few minor medals. At this early age, I studied Journalism. I learned that there is expression in writing. 


I was able to enter a private school during my secondary education. My parents spent a lot so I can finish considering that school is already the cheapest in the list of private schools. We bought books for my own use. My classmates always had more than me, they had literary books. I would always borrow. After secondary education, I'd love both writing and reading. 


In a state university, I took Journalism. It's the personification of the things I have loved during elementary and high school. During my first year in college, I entered a police station, second year, I joined a rally outside Batasang Pambansa against PGMA's SONA. By third year, I saw the multitude of people in the Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo. And by fourth year, I had written for the oldest newspaper in the country, The Manila Times. 


I am a victim of a Third World corruption. I now become part of the working class. A suffering class in which many can be absorbed in the ever declining economy. While a ruling class gets all the wealth there can be had, those who are left with nothing, either just die or kill so they won't die. 


I am the future of the Third World Philippines. I will provide for my family. I will practice my education. I will serve the country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment