Sunday, November 14, 2010

Kikomachine Raks en Rols!

For the most part of it, I'm never really a serious person. How it came to be, I cannot exactly recall. Part of it may be attributed to my ever wacky set of barkadas. Another part of it, even just a little bit, I think, I happened to pick from Manix Abrera's Kikomachine Komix. 

Kikomachine comic strips were first published by the Philippine Daily Inquirer. Then its the first issue, titled Mga Tagpong Mukhang Ewan at Kung Anu-ano pang Kababalaghan" first came out on June 2005. Followed by Mga Tagpong Tila Nagpapaka-Weird, Kunyari Pa-Deep, Sarap Sapakin (Book 2); Die! Die Evil! Die! Ahrrrgh! (Book 3); Kaligayahang Walang Hanggan (Book 4, 2008); Alab ng Puso sa Dibdid Mo'y Buhay (Book 5, 2009); and for this years Book 6 which was only launched in October, Venn Man at iba pang Kalupitan ng Kapalaran, written in Alibata. 

The comics, mostly about tidbits of everyday college life, state university dilemmas (set definitely in UP), turns all these into humorous encounters. 

That's one of the best stuffs Manix does. Kikomachine mirrors how one has journeyed, traversed and grown up in college, whether privatized, public or state colleges and universities. College students gets easily familiar to Kikomachine yeah, but up until now that I'm a graduate, it's already difficult to just eliminate in one's system. 

I can tell for sure because during Saturday's (November 13's) Komikon 2010 at Starmall, Mandaluyong, not only students filed up on a long line for Manix's signature but also those eternally young at hearts. 

There are people whose love for Kikomachine's humor does not grow old. It's a reminder of fond memories. 

Like what I have for myself. I see myself and my set of friends (I miss them so) back in college--not in UP but in another state university, PUP, where progressive minds are as many as the poor rundown facilities. I see the way we would most of the time tease each other. Those meany barahans and all of the kalokohans. It makes me smile thinking that those kinds of--sometimes witty, most of the time nonsensical--banters could actually be a content of a comics that readers will laugh at. 


So it isn't entirely readers picking up Manix's humor. It's Manix picking up humor on our daily advances in this quite boring life making it korni to the bones. Who cares, laughing 
stupidly is a cure!


But more than all of those already mentioned, Kikomachine no matter how korni it gets sometimes, still addresses political suppressions to activist/progressive students, and press freedom and freedom of expression in general. It's a laughing stock that gives a hard beating to societal issues and concerns that continue to plague our country. 


Manix will make readers laugh, almost making political and societal issues sound absurd, and then it hits us. "That is actually happening." Manix surely doesn't only aspire for us to just laugh. He opens our eyes, makes us aware, and hopes that we don't stop at laughing. If you get what I mean. 

:)

And ooh, did you know that I lined up for two hours to get this-
Front cover. 
Inside where I got my sign. Always the fangirl. 
All photos by Rene Dilan. Thanks hepe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment