Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Last of NU

For the second time I broke up with a boyfriend. The first time was when Panic! at the Disco split up. This time, it's NU 107 saying goodbye. 


When I love something, I swear I love it. Who wouldn't if it's NU anyway huh?! Friendly to bands wanting to realize dreams, whether newbies or oldies. Playing 40 minutes if nonstop rock. Playing requests from and for listeners. Playing PATD. Playing Sugarfree. Playing every fucking rocking song in the planet! It was the home of NU rock. 


So don't ask me why I cried when I heard these last words, "NU is now signing off."


The reason why I started listening to NU four years ago was because 103.5 Alt rock, closed over reasons unknown too! That was the first radio station I'd really listen to rock to. But when it did close, it was not as emotional as NU's closing. Maybe because I was assured there's NU to catch my needs. And I swear, NU never failed me. And NU was the light that shaped the rock that i'm listening to right now. It really did. I'd discover artists and songs regardless of what era it first went out in the airwaves. Then I'd find out later on that said artist is already dead. Haha! That's one of the things I'd miss. The discovery of good music. 


I've said this too many times, I can live without television but not without radio. 


And now, my humble abode, it's gone. I'm a lost child. My younger brother asked me, "San na tayo makikinig?" No answer. 


Basta, ang dami ko pang gustong sabihin tulad ng dalampu't tatlong taon sa ere ng NU; ang maiiwan nitong tatak sa puso ng mga tagapakinig na lumaki at naimpluwensyahan sa bawat ikot ng cassete o ng cd; ang tulay na tawiran ng mga gustong maging bahagi ng industriya; sa lahat ng napaligaya; at sa lahat lahat ng musika. 


But all the good stuff ended. NU's sign off song was Huling El Bimbo by Eraseheards, a song that transcends all ages, a song every one surely knows. And as I cry, I sang along ripping my heart out, knowing it was the last time to. Last hums, last snap of fingers to the beat, last head bangs. Good bye. 


NU you are the best radio listeners ever had. Live on!

No comments:

Post a Comment