Sunday, May 15, 2011

Of poems and stupidity


I suck at poems. And there I was, supposed to teach poetry for the Summer Art Workshop our youth organization is holding in our barangay. I smiled a hidden smile when I learned that my precious student won't be present. 

I was saved. I'm not quite sure how I'll teach poetry. I'll write poems that are usually emotionally driven and it's just that. Decent but nothing grand. But I read a good poem during my short stay in the workshop and I got inspired.

It always work for me, a good read equals a good desire to write. 
And so, I wrote a poem. 

***

The heat, the beat, they give me
plain headaches, so I bang my head
And use my hardened skull to crack the wall
But it's one barrier I can't destroy

I wonder where all this stubbornness comes from
Could one's brain be this twisted and digested
Trying so hard to break
What seems to you is a norm and a god

It's so bright but do you even 
see me as a ray of light
Once, twice, thrice, my favorite is fries
But none of it really matters

We can be just friends
With or without the benefits
But not more than what I ask for
'Coz what I want, I never got

***

Iambic pentameter, perfect rhyme, stanzas, alliteration, blah, blah blah. It's so hard!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment