Saturday, October 27, 2012

Highway

Let me tell you of the loneliest road trip of my life. 

It happened when the man I love most was sitting and sleeping beside me inside a cramped car, and yet, despite the closeness, I knew that he was about to go some where far away. And I dreaded the thought the most. 

But I couldn't help but think of it. We still had some more time together. Like now. It was dawn then. It was dawn. And the car was keeping a steady and speedy phase. The highway was clean, few cars either passed us by, or was already up ahead of us on the long road. 

I was seated next to the right door and window, meaning he was seating at my left. Note that I had the right view. 

Meanwhile, his dad was the one steering the wheel and beside him was his mom. We were on our way for a week-long vacation. My excitement was vanishing. 

I felt his warmth beside me, but I did not look at him. I was only looking outside the window and everything was gray. The leaves of the sporadic trees lined up along the road were dull. Green was my favorite color, but not that time. The the lampposts, the soil, the grass, the rice fields, the mountains far beyond were all gloomy. 

Were dawns supposed to be that tragic? You knew the darkness of the night was over and yet, were was the light?

That moment of searching seemed to reflect what was brewing inside me. Were was my happiness? Wasn't this heavy man, whose weight was upon me, supposed to bring me happiness? 

And for the first time ever, I realized he was bringing me loneliness. He was leaving me for another country, a different life. I would be left here. He was bound there. And what would happen to us? 

Questions. Doubts. Fear. These flooded my mind. Why did fate chose to pull us apart? I was tormenting. And the absence of life on the road and the view was intensifying everything. And it just kept stretching on and on, the south-bound super highway. 

Suddenly, I just wanted to hold him tight. So I faced him. 

And what I saw was beyond me or him. It was beyond everything. It was the break of dawn. There was the light. It was with him all along. 

The sun was but a tiny spec on the horizon but it was already brightly orange-lit. The sky on his side was starting to get infected by the blaze. Crimson shades were starting to further out. And the vibrant light was seeping into the leaves of the trees giving it a lovely glow. 

There was so much color already and in no time, my side of the horizon will be reached as well. 

I rested my head on his shoulder to wonder some more on this beautiful thing. Sometimes, one only needed a change of perspective. 

1 comment:

  1. I always wanted to hold you tight. Wishing that the day I leave you won't come. But it's the opposite. Its here. Its happening right now. We're on separate places, far away from each other. But I will always love you. And I will always be your light; your life; your love.

    ReplyDelete