Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Woman HAS to Fight for Herself

The deal, my office work is from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. I go home pretty late at night, consider also that the distance  from my work to home is far. Good thing during this time of the day (or night) there's no more traffic so I roughly make it home in an hour an a half. 


However, safety and security concerns are adamant since its already deep in the night and you'll never know what type of hooligans you might encounter in the dark road. You always have to be extra careful and really vigilant. And for me, who is a public commuter, riding jeepney since that's the most accessible mode of transportation from Quiapo, I try my best to stay alert. 


Awhile ago, as I was in my regular routine going home, a different threat was imposed upon me, especially my gender as a WOMAN. 


Actually, this type of crime is not only committed at nights, there are bad guys who will still do this during the light of the day where they can be so exposed. I am talking about men who take advantage of women's weakness and violates them for their own pleasure. 


I do not aim to generalize, but this concern, on men preying on women's skin is truly alarming, especially during public transportations where they can have the opportunity to do so. "Makapang-manyak."


What exactly can these "manyaks" do?! One example is (especially in jeepneys) is when a man slides his arms, or hands behind you back, pretending to hold onto the jeep's bars, when what they do is they let their body parts actually touch your intimate body parts, like the breasts! Other times they pretend to sleep. And you'll just feel their hands on you. I know these myself because I've experienced it. I am not ashame to tell so, so that everyone might be aware that you can do something. We woman can do something. From these experiences I learned to fight for myself. 


I give these men warnings. At first I'll look terribly bad at them! Irap ba. If he's not affected, I'll look then irap, and look and irap, until he feels he's being watched. And if it still doesn't wor, I'll speak up, "Manong kamay mo!" 


As I've said, tonight, I got to (darn!) encounter another one. This man, kept staring and staring at me like he's unclothing me. Manyak talaga. Then I would look at him, to make irap, and we would kindat at me (Spare me from the taglish). Darn the man! The other man who sat beside him shook him to give him a warning (nice man really). Unfortunately he won't stop, and the help I did not even ask for remains no use. So I said to myself, no more. This man will not get the better part of me. 


I looked him (madly) in the eye and said, "Manong wag kang bastos! Wag mo kong tingnan ng ganyan! Magkaroon ka ng respeto!" The words spilled out of my mouth with every weight of indignation I can muster. And I knew, that moment, the man, I made him feel ashamed. Of course, everyone in the jeep heard what I said. Serves him right, really wished I could punch him in the face though. It wasn't long before he got off the vehicle. 


Another man asked me when the manyak was gone, "Bakit Miss ano bang ginawa sa'yo?" Then the old lady with her daughter sitting beside me answered. "Tinititigan sya, tapos kumikindat-kindat." She knew. I agreed with her (of course I would) "Opo, nakita nyo po. Ang bastos di ba po? Kaya po kung may anak kayong batang babae, [meron nga di ba!] turuan nyo po na dapat ipagtanggol ang sarili. Di po dapat hinahayaan ang mga ganyang lalaki." 


And with that, the rest of the journey home went as usual, with just me feeling a little too proud of myself. 


Be it day or night, these men do not choose time. What they choose are the victims. Those women that they think would not fight for themselves. Those who will stay mum even if inside they feel violated. 


That's why I believe, women has to assert their being women. We must not let these men, prey on us, on our weakness. Fight. It only takes a little bit of courage. Hindi tayo ang nakakahiya. Ang nakakahiya e hayaang madumihan ang sarili dahil wala kang ginawa. 


These might sound petty but it isn't. There are laws that protects women from these conducts but the more important thing here is for us, women, to protect ourselves first. 




Author's Note. I hope this is worth sharing and geez! Babae! Laban!

No comments:

Post a Comment