Sunday, April 17, 2011

'Near death' experience

What I thought was a perfect day of fun and recreation ended with probably the closest to a near death experience of my life. 

I went to an outing at a swimming resort with my group of friends from my work. It was, as I said, a real fun day in the water. I swam a lot, of course. I do think that in my past life I was a sea creature, a shark, or plankton, maybe. So whenever I'm in water, I'm so happy. Plus I was with the company of people I really like. 

But, having left responsibilities in the office, I have to go to work and close the Lifestyle pages even if it was already late, AND, of course, I was tired. But it's alright, responsibilities are responsibilities. 

Things got bad when I was waiting inside the FX in Echague, Quiapo bound home. I was sleeping, when I heard noises that I thought were regular firecrackers. Three more loud bangs. 

Then the other people inside the FX started clamoring, I was alerted, look outside, and the first thing I saw (with a blurry vision) was the fire on the muzzle of a gun just beside the window of the FX.

The shootout was happening just outside, one or two meters away from me. I stoop down, survival instincts. Two more shots were fired and the shootout ended. 

The guy nearest to the window (then me next to him) recalled, "Naglakad lang paalis 'yong bumaril. Ngumisi pa. (The shooter just walked away with a smirk on his lips.)" 

I took a really quick look and saw the shot man lying helpless and bloody on the ground. 

The FX sped away when the mob started circling the poor man. And after much talked inside the vehicle, we deduced: 1. that the shooter had the intent of killing the man; 2. the victim had no gun; 3. the victim was shot three times, in the chest, one of the arms and one of the legs; 4. the probable reason was money or drugs; and 5. how thankful we were we weren't harmed. 

Really thank goodness, and God, for I was kept safe. Who could have say? At any moment, a bullet could have gone our way, and what? But no. It didn't. 

I was left unharmed. For the people who loves me and wouldn't want anything bad to happen to me. 

The world is like this. It's as bad as it is as beautiful. And we get it both ways. We live. Then we die. So until we're all here, let's live it like there's no tomorrow. 

2 comments:

  1. waaaaaah, buti na lang ligtas kang negra ka, haha. san kayo lumangoy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God you weren't harmed! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete