Sunday, October 31, 2010

Roots

Usually, this time of the year--sembreak/undas--I would be spending some days and nights inhaling fresh air, looking up at countless stars and shining moon, getting surrounded by high mountains, standing under clear blue skies, bathing on the waig (Ilocano of small rivers), walking on the pilapil, checking Lam-ang's footprint and just taking in the scenery. 

Where there are mountains, and mountains, and mountains. 
I'm supposed to be spending the holidays in my father's province, Abra of the Cordilleras. But well there's already work and what can I say to that? 

I just miss MY province. One great lesson that I learned from Papa is to pay homage. Sabi ng matatanda, ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan ay di makakarating sa paroroonan. My father really taught me the importance of returning to your roots. Even though my father stayed here in Manila for years, 30, almost 40 years, I know that he's home belongs to Abra, where he was raised as a child. He loves it very much that he's love to it passed down to me. Truly. 

I tell you, when I'm having vacation there, I feel at home. It's my second home. Everybody makes me feel that I belong there, and of course, you just won't get rid of the special treatment. Which of course, makes the vacation feel more like a vacation. 

I still have my childhood memories in Abra too. And I swear, no matter how old I get, I will go back and back again in Abra. Like Papa does. After all my father is born there and I wouldn't be born if he wasn't born there, most definitely! If Papa is born in Manila, he's life won't surely lead to me being his daughter if things are different from the beginning, see? So my existence has got to thank Abra. 

I do hope I get to enjoy a vacation on December though. :)

Reds and greens. 
I eat on a different house each meal and sleep on a different house each night. Not on this one though, my relatives houses are already made of cement, have electricity, videoke and running water. 
The balete tree that tells secrets and time. 
When there was no water. 
The land of the tabako
Papa looking comic.
And yet looking more comic!
Can't I just fly?
Ooops. ^^
The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment